SCHOOL SERIES MENTORS
These are people who give 2 to 10 hours a week to The School Series© programme, and help with running training sessions, both for our clients or partners as well as Training of other Trainers.
How to Become a Mentor
The School Series© is a not-for-profit programme, therefore as a mentor you will be volunteering your time and energy to faciltate training sessions in the School Series Toolkit. Aside from your time and energy, the following are some of the qualities we seek in a mentor:
- Commitment – we need you to attend or conduct as many sessions as you can, and to show up when you sign up for a session;
- Integrity – we need you to be honest, ethical and striving to be a good person;
- Morality – we need you to subscribe to a moral code of conduct (not necessarily religious), have a sense of right and wrong, and be trying & succeeding as much as possible to walk on the good side;
- Desire to mentor & help others – this should come from within you as a person;
- Public speaking abilities – you should be willing and able to stand in front of and address a crowd. You also need to be coherent and able to impart ideas through speaking;
- Confidence – you need to have some belief in yourself. It also helps the public speaking abilities required above;
- Punctuality and Reliability – this means that you attend all mentors meetings and the sessions on time and keep your promises;
- Can work well with a team – this will require a tremendous amount of teamwork to successfully carry out. General pleasantness, a sense of humour, ability to work under pressure once in a while.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please sign up via our MENTOR REGISTRATION FORM. If your application is successful, someone from our team will then get back to you with our Mentor’s Induction Manual and take you through our induction process. You will then begin training which will have 2 stages:
- Training in the Toolkit: You will go through the toolkit as a particpant so that you can learn and begin to implement the principles and skills therein for yourself.
- Training of Trainers: Once you've completed the Toolkit as a participant, you will be assessed. If you are a good fit for the School Series team, then you will begin the Training of Trainers component. This stage consists of you facilitating training sessions to cover the complete School Series Toolkit so that you may increase your understanding of the Toolkit as well as build your pedagogy skills.
After the training is complete, each new mentor undergoes a probation period of 3 months where the other mentors will assess you, and give feedback. You will then officially be a member of our team!
If you would still like to be a part of the School Series© but your schedule doesn't permit you to be a mentor, please consider becoming a Friend Of School Series today!